Monday, August 2, 2010

Camping Memories

There is only one thing better than reliving your best childhood memories; that's having your husband and children experience those memories with you!

Sometimes I'm asked what my family traditions were growing up. One of them is definitely camping as a family. When I was really little and through grade school we would often go to Granite Hot Springs which inspires lots of memories of my cousins, mosquitoes, the naturally heated moss-bottomed swimming pool, and the treacherous hole-laden rocky dirt road trying to get there. And because of said road, we finally gave up on that campground and most often pitched our tents (or actually parked the camper) in Island Park instead.

Getting ready to float the Buffalo 2010
Too me, it's a little bit of forested heaven. Every year we would get out the boats and canoes and float down Big Springs or float on tubes down Buffalo River surrounded by trees and wild life in abundance. I have thankfully never seen a bear but have had many moose sightings and even a moose encounter that had me praying for a miracle.
P.T.ed
In continuing tradition, last year we took the kids camping in Island Park. We nearly laughed our heads off  one morning when we woke up to find our camp had been "T.P.ed" or in this case "P.T.ed" by the tree squirrels who had discovered our paper towels sitting on the picnic table. Ah, forest animals...

Yellowstone Lake 2009
Just a half hour away from Island Park is Yellowstone; as in THE YELLOWSTONE PARK. Being from Idaho Falls I have been there so many times I can't even count. But aside from all the obvious attractions one of my most favorite memories is visiting The Playmill Theater in West Yellowstone. I always wished I could be one of the singer/actors there - looking beautiful, singing, charming everyone and making them laugh. But alas, I don't sing or act. Two HUGE requirements me thinks. Nevertheless, I'm always thrilled to be spectator.

Can I just tell you how giddy I was a few weeks ago to take my husband and two oldest children to the Playmill for the first time?! I got the most pleasure from watching them smile, laugh out loud, and eat fudge! The best part of the night is when I FINALLY got my 5 minutes of fame on the Playmill  stage. No singing or acting required; just a birthday and a smile. A dream come true? Not quite...but I'll take it.

A little souvenir
Building tradition and memories


No comments:

Post a Comment