Thursday, August 12, 2010

A Winner of a Recipe (No, not Chicken Dinner)

I don't love cooking but I do love to eat. Cooking is a means to an ends motivated by delicious food. And nothing leaves me feeling quite so content as when my husband and children actually eat and enjoy what I've made after "slaving" in the kitchen instead of say....relaxing or watching someone else cook dinner.

Well, this recipe is a winner and (lucky you) I'm going to share it! A great thanks to My The Food Nanny. She rescues dinner. This might also be a good way to use some of those delicious things you have growing in your garden.


Penne With Sausage, Red Potatoes, And Green Beans
Serves 4 (To feed my family and still have left-overs for Hubby's lunch the  next day, I double this - with the exception of the sausage.)

8 oz uncooked penne pasta
4 small red potatoes, quartered
8 oz low-fat spicy bulk Italian sausage (I haven't been able to find this low fat.)
1/4 C. minced yellow onion
2 small garlic cloves, minced
1 C. chicken broth
1 T. olive oil
1 T. butter
(You decide how much more fat you want to throw in your dinner. Personally I thought the sausage added plenty of it so I put in just a small pat of butter for flavor. You can also make this meatless in which case I'd add the extra butter and oil.)

1 lb fresh green beans, trimmed and cut in half
1 T. coarsely chopped fresh parsley
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
1/2 C. grated Romano, Asiago, or Parmesan cheese, plus additional

1. Cook pasta according to pkg. directions. Drain.

2. Steam or cook potatoes in boiling salted water until tender. At the same time steam or cook the green beans.

3. Meanwhile, brown the sausage in a Dutch oven or large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic; cook and stir until the onion is soft and the sausage is completely cooked. Pour in the broth and simmer for 3 minutes. Stir in the oil and butter until the butter melts. Add the green beans, potatoes, and pasta. Mix well with with a large spoon. Add the parsley and salt and pepper to taste.

4. Decrease the heat to low and sprinkle 1/2 C. of the cheese over the mixture. Cover the pan and cook a few more minutes until the cheese is melted.

5. Serve immediately in the same pot or spoon the mixture into a large, shallow serving bowl or deep platter. Pass the extra cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment